Page 19 - SOH_3_22
P. 19

Legal BriefsWho Will Take Care of You When You Can’t TakeCare of Yourself? Who Will Take Care of YourChildren If You Are Not There?MAKE YOUR EVENT SPECIALIBy Kathleen Cassidy Goodman, PLLCf either of these questions have ever troubled you, then you need to know that in the event of your incapacity,you can designate the person you prefer to take care of you. Similarly, if you have ever wondered who will take care of your minor children if you and your spouse are no longer able to care for them because of your death or incapacity? The answer is the same – a Declaration of Guardian.Some people worry that in the event of their incapacity, someone they do not trust, or someone with evil motives, could become their guardian. Under Texas law, you are able to designate a guardian before you become incapacitated. Although a Court makes the final decision, the judge will appoint the person you designate in a Declaration of Guardian unless the Court thinks the person is unsuitable. More importantly, you may specify who you DO NOT want to be your guardian and the Court may not, under any circumstance, appoint a person you do not want as your guardian.A “Declaration of Guardian” allows you to designate a guardian of your “Person” which means who will provide for your care and supervision regarding clothing,food, medical care, and shelter upon your incapacity. You can also designate a guardian for your “Estate”; namely, someone to care for your finances while you are still alive but incapacitated.For parents with minor children, the concern is different. Many parents worry and wonder, “Who will take care of my minor children in the event something happens to both me and my spouse?” If the parents of a minor child fail to appoint a guardian either by a Will or a Declaration of Guardian, the nearest ascendant relative will be appointed guardian of the person and the estate of the child. However, if there are two sets of grandparents, the courts will have to decide who is best suited to care for the children. This can lead to a legal battle over the children that can easily be avoided with a Declaration of Guardian for Minor Children.Kathleen Cassidy Goodman is an attorneyin areas of estate planning, probate, civil litigation,and business law. She can be reached at her office in Helotes at (210) 949-1000 or for more information, visit www.bexarlaw.comPERFORMING ORIGINAL & COVER SONGS ACOUSTIC, FOLK, ROCK & ALTERNATIVE MUSICFOR BOOKING CONTACTvinnie031@yahoo.comOR TEXT 210-606-6640Coffeehouseheroes.comSMART OPTIONS FOR HOME AND AUTO INSURANCEWE OFFER SAVINGS ON:• Professional Groups • Multiple Policies • Good Students • Multiple Cars• Safe Drivers & Alternative Fuel VehiclesSATURDAY FREE APRIL 9THMarch Right inEASTER EGG HUNTfor sweets0-3 years 12pm 4-6 years 12:20pm 7-11 years 12:45pmNO PURCHASE NECESSARY210-632-72301150 E. Borgfeld Dr. SA, TX 78260& treatsCall MaryCall Today! (210) March 202219Great Spring Gifts!Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 11am- 6pm19141 Stone Oak Parkway, Suite 302Bellarocupcakery.comVETERAN OWNED • FULLY INSURED • WORK GUARANTEEDWHY DO OUR CUSTOMERS LOVE US?on service• We complete jobs to thewe are now• We arrive on time• We are dependable• We offer turnkey solutions• We provide quick turnaroundENROLLING for the 2022 - 2023 school year.Nestled off of 1604 and Rogers Ranch isThe Montessori School of San AntonioWe offer programs from age 3 - grade 8 and are accepting applications. Schedule your tour today by calling 492-3553 or visiting our websitewww.montessorisa.orghighest standardsCitizen GARZA 21720 Hardy Oak Blvd. Suite 110San Antonio, TX 78258SGARZA@FARMERSAGENT.COMCall today for ano-obligation quote!(210) 277-7246JOIN US!We Make ScrapbookingFun!

   16   17   18   19   20